American Express Network Online Privacy Statement
Effective Date: April 1, 2014
The American Express Network is committed to safeguarding your privacy when it provides you with online applications that run on smart phones, tablets and other mobile devices (“app” or “apps”), online services or websites on behalf of the issuer of your American Express Card. We want you to know how we may collect, use, share and keep information about you and the choices that are available to you when you use such an app, service or website. TEST
If you have an American Express Network product or service that is not provided by American Express (such as a card issued by one of our partner banks), please review the relevant privacy notice that covers such product or service or contact the provider of that product or service for information about their privacy practices.
This online privacy statement only applies to American Express Network apps, services or websites that link to this statement and does not apply to any American Express website such as americanexpress.com, or an app that has its own online privacy statement.
American Express Network apps, services and websites are not intended for children under 13 years of age. We do not knowingly solicit data online from, or market online to, children under 13 years of age.
Since we may change this online privacy statement, we recommend that you check the current version available from time to time. If we make changes to this statement, we will update the “Effective Date” at the top of this page.
What is in this online privacy statement?
What information does this online privacy statement cover?
- Visit or use our apps, services or websites;
- Sign up or register online for our marketing offers or other services;
- Receive or reply to electronic communications from us;
- View or click on our ads or other online content; and
- Interact with us through social media sites and other apps, services and websites.
What information do we collect online and how do we collect it?
The types of information we collect depends on which app, service or website you use.
We collect information that you provide directly to us (or to our Service Providers). For example, you might give us your name, account number, email, mailing address, phone number or date of birth when you:
- fill out an online form or survey, including when you book travel with us;
- register, log into or update the settings on your account using our services;
- enter a competition or register for a marketing offer; or
- buy something on our websites.
We (and our Service Providers) collect information through Cookies and Similar Technologies. Most Cookies and Similar Technologies will only collect De-Identified Information such as how you arrive at our website or your general location. However, certain Cookies and Similar Technologies do collect Personal Information. For example, if you click Remember Me when you log in to our website, a cookie will store your username.
- the device you use to browse our websites or use our apps (for example, we may collect information about the operating system or the browser version and the type of computer or mobile device);
- the IP Address and information related to that IP Address (such as domain information, your Internet provider and general geographic location);
- browsing history on our websites or apps (such as what you search for, the pages you view, how long you stay and how often you come back);
- how you search for our websites or apps, from which websites you link to our websites and which of our Business Partners’ websites you visit;
- which ads or online content from us and our Business Partners you view, access or click on;
- whether you open our electronic communications and which parts you click on; and
- the location of your mobile device (for example, when you use our mobile websites or apps to register to receive location-based content).
We (and our Service Providers) also collect information made publicly available through third-party platforms (such as social media websites), online databases or directories or other legitimately obtained information. This information may be governed by the privacy notice(s) provided by the third party at the time of collection.
How do we use the information we collect about you?
- to deliver services, including to:
- recognize you when you return to our websites or use our apps;
- complete transactions;
- tell you about updates to any account you may have with us;
- tell you about updates to our services and determine how to best provide such services to you;
- update you about new features and benefits;
- answer questions and respond to your requests made through our websites and through third-party websites (including social media websites);
- use the location of your mobile device for location-based services that you may request;
- determine how to best provide services to you and manage your accounts, such as the best way and time to contact you;
- improve our websites and make them easier to use;
- to advertise and market our services – and those of our Business Partners – including to:
- present content that is tailored to your interests;
- send or provide you with ads, promotions and offers;
- analyze whether our ads, promotions and offers are effective;
- help us determine whether you may be interested in new offers or services;
- to conduct research and analysis, including to:
- better understand our customers and website visitors or apps users;
- allow you to give feedback by rating and reviewing our services and those of our Business Partners;
- produce data analytics, statistical research and reports;
- review and change our services;
- to manage fraud and security risk, including to:
- detect and prevent fraud or criminal activity,
- safeguard the security of your information; and
- to use in other ways as required or permitted by law or with your consent.
How we treat your Personal Information
- with the issuer of your card;
- with regulatory authorities, courts and governmental agencies to comply with legal orders, legal or regulatory requirements and government requests;
- with our Service Providers, regulatory authorities and governmental agencies to detect and prevent fraud or criminal activity, and to protect the rights of American Express or others;
- within the American Express Family of Companies;
- with our Service Providers who perform services for us and help us operate our business (we require Service Providers to safeguard Personal Information and only use your Personal Information for the purposes we specify);
- in the context of a sale of all or part of the American Express Family of Companies or their assets; or
- for specific services, when you have given your consent.
We may transfer Personal Information to Service Providers or companies within the American Express Family of Companies throughout the world to process transactions and provide you with our services. Regardless of where we process your information, we still protect it in the manner described in this online privacy statement and according to applicable laws.
Aggregated Information or De-Identified Information does not identify you individually and is used to help us to analyze patterns among groups of people. We may share Aggregated Information or De-Identified Information in several ways, for example:
- for the same reasons as we might share Personal Information;
- with Business Partners to help develop and market products and present targeted content;
- with Business Partners to conduct analysis and research about customers and website visitors;
How do we keep and safeguard your information?
We use administrative, technical and physical security measures to protect your Personal Information. These measures include computer safeguards and secured files and facilities. We take reasonable steps to securely destroy or permanently de-identify Personal Information when we no longer need it. We will keep your Online Information only as long as we must to deliver our services, unless we are required by law or regulation or for litigation and regulatory investigations to keep it.
What are your choices?
You have choices about how American Express Network uses your information, such as how we market to you.
If you do not want to receive marketing e-mails from the American Express Network about our services, or the services of our Business Partners, you may follow the unsubscribe instructions that are located at the bottom of those messages. Please note that your choice is applicable only to the marketing communications you receive from the American Express Network. It does not apply to marketing communications that may be sent to you by the issuer of your card product.
Do you have questions about the online privacy statement?
If you have questions about this online privacy statement, please contact your issuer.
Aggregated Information-- data or information relating to multiple people that has been combined or aggregated. Aggregated Information includes information that we create or compile from various sources, including transactions or certain data from Cookies and Similar Technologies.
American Express Network (we, our, us)-- the American Express Network as identified at the beginning of this online privacy statement.
American Express Family of Companies-- any affiliate and subsidiary of, and any company owned or controlled by, the American Express Company.
Business Partners-- any third parties with whom we conduct business and have a contractual relationship, such as a business that accepts American Express branded cards.
Co-brand Partners-- businesses we partner with to offer cards featuring both brand logos.
Cookies and Similar Technologies-- a cookie is a small data file that a website transfers to your computer's hard drive. We may send cookies when you visit our website or websites where our ads appear or when you make purchases, request or personalize information, or register for certain services. If you accept the cookies used on our website, websites that are “powered by” another company on our behalf, or websites where our ads appear, you may give us access to information about your interests. We may use that information to personalize your experience. Similar technologies such as web beacons, pixels, gifs, and tags also do the same thing. We use the term Cookies and Similar Technologies in this statement to refer to all technologies that collect information in this way.
De-identified Information-- data or information used in a way that does not identify you to a third party. We often derive De-Identified Information from Personal Information. It includes information that we may collect from various sources, such as card transactions or certain data from Cookies and Similar Technologies.
IP Address-- a number assigned to a device when connecting to the Internet.
Online Information-- data or information collected on the American Express websites and apps as well as on websites and apps of third parties relating to topics about our business.
Other Information-- American Express internal information (for example, transaction data), external data that financial companies use to process applications and complete transactions, and other online and offline information.
Personal Information-- information that can identify a person, such as name, address, telephone number and email address.
Service Providers-- any vendor or company that performs business operations on our behalf, such as communications services (e.g., email), marketing, data processing, servicing or ad management.